Feeding Your Cats Meow- Healthy Alternatives For Indoor Cats
Through the years I have matured as a cat parent. I’ve come to realize that Feeding Your Cats Meow- Healthy Alternatives For Indoor Cats that if I changed my own eating habits to healthy food maybe I ought to change my cat’s food to healthier alternatives too.
This didn’t happen overnight, and I was confused about which brands to choose.There are so many brands out there, all claiming that they are the “purrfect” brand for my kitty!
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase
It was Hit-and-Miss with Flavors, Textures, and Tastes
What Cat Food is the Best and I was confused, to say the least? It was like a missing piece to a puzzle. You’ve finished putting all the pieces in until you realize there’s a missing piece!
That’s how I felt! I didn’t like puzzles to begin with- Naw… just kittening around 😀
What’s the remedy for a finicky cat and how will I get him to accept healthier foods? When I thought I had found a flavor I thought he would like, “But this is good for your Sparrow” he wouldn’t eat it.
Back to the drawing board!
Feeding Your Cat’s Meow – Yummy Ingredients
What are the main ingredients you should look for in natural/Indoor cat foods? One that will satisfy hunger and maintain your cat’s health from their growing years to their senior years!
There are several brands that are great for your cat and you can rest assured that you’re feeding your kitty high-quality, nutritious foods when you choose the very best and for the best price possible!
Believe me, your cat will thank you!. Now, some brands are more expensive than others just do your research to find out exactly what the brand offers and if it’s in your budget.
Here is a list of basic ingredients to look for and to avoid.
Ingredients to Avoid Choosing Healthy Foods For Your Cat
- No Corn, Wheat or Soy.
- No Additives, Compounds or Fillers.
- No Synthetic Fertilizers or Chemical Dyes.
Ingredients to Look for in Choosing Healthy Foods
- Chicken, Turkey, Lean Beef, Salmon and Lamb.
- Organic Peas, Pumpkin, Sweet Potato.
- Vegetables, Legumins, and Berries.
- Omega 3, Omega 6, Vitamins and Minerals, Taurine for optimum complete nutrition.
Natural Treats Your Cats and Will Love
When it comes to your furry child deserving of a treat for being good or doing tricks for you. They deserve the best quality, natural superb taste and are healthy for them too!
Now that you have changed your cat to a healthier diet, you need to make sure their treats align with the same value points.
- Gluten-Free, No Fillers
- Great tasting natural ingredients
- No Artificial Ingredients or Fillers
Look for the Same Organic/Natural Ingredients in Your Cat’s Snacks!
- High-quality ingredients
- Proteins and Vitamins
The food that we eat can be toxic to your cat. Try to avoid feeding your cat “people” food.
- Raisins, grapes, onions
- Milk – Hard in their digestive tract will cause your cat stomach problems and diarrhea.
- Chocolate- Yes, some people give their cats chocolate, please refrain from doing so, it’s poison to their digestive system.
Natural Cat Litter – Getting Rid of the Smell and Mess
There are all kinds of brands to choose from who specialize in natural and organic cat litter. I know that when I look for inexpensive litter, I want one that is a clumping litter, low-dust and no perfumes that will irritate their little noses.
Also, one that doesn’t stink up your house or sticks to their paws and gets all over the floor, carpet, their bedding, and furniture.
Natural cat litter is the way to go! The following is a list that is Economical and Eco-friendly and Biodegradable.
- Corn Litter – the strongest in quality and best in clumping ability and reducing smell – is one of the best biodegradable cat litter. It contains large pellets that make it safer for kittens to use.
- Pine Litter – Made from sawdust, this is a pellet litter. Some pine litter brands have small granules and are practically dust-free. Does a good job hiding the urine smell but doesn’t hide poop smells that well.
- Natural Fresh Walnut Litter – Made from walnut shells, fibrous and absorbent. Good odor control and low on litter dust. It comes in pellets and finer textures and there are courser textures as well.
- Paper Litter – Made from recycled paper and eco-friendly. Negative side: has poor odor control. It is a pellet litter. Low-dust.
- Wheat Litter – Made from “secondary wheat” – the wheat grain that isn’t high-quality enough for human food. It contains natural enzymes to help minimize and neutralize odor control.
- Clay-Based Litter – It’s cheap. Minimal odor control.
- Clumping Clay Litter – A finer grade, scoopable litter. not flushable down the toilet because it releases toxins into the air and can irritate your cat’s nose and is not good for humans either.
- Newspaper Pulp Litter – This litter looks like rabbit food pellets that are grayish black.
Feeding Your Cat’s Meow – A Healthier Lifestyle for your Cat
As cat parents, we always strive to give our cats the best life possible. We treat our “pets” like family. They’re very dear to our hearts and are a big part of our lives.
We want to prolong their lives, even past the “Nine Lives” movement where so many cats fall under. With close calls and daredevil stunts.
Haha… you know which ones I am talking about… don’t you 🙂
You want to feed your cat with the very best ingredients. Whether it’s their dry food or canned food and treats. Not sacrificing a taste for quality. But give the very best that you can give them.
We want our cats to stay healthy. From Kittenhood to Adulthood to their Senior years! With the right food, treats, litter, and toys, we can be sure our little furry children will be around for years to come…
Give your best and your cat will thank you!
What’s your cat’s favorite food? What brand is your cat’s favorite? If you have any suggestions or advice, please feel free to leave them in the comments section and I will be happy to get back to you!
Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate it!
Don’t forget to subscribe so you can get more pawesome articles in your inbox!
All my best to you and wishing you a lovely day!
Meowz to you!
Copyright © 2019 Donna Rayne’s Blog, All rights reserved.
Founder of mrsparrowshealthycat.com
Writer and member of the partnership program at Quora.com